Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

fox_guy48 Horn does not work at all
Guru
Katterbach Germany
78 Posts

Hi guys i have a 92 and my horn doesnt work at all. apparently the guy i bought it from had some issues with them or something he replaced them about 2 years ago they were working and now they are not. what can i do to see if they are still good or if its a relay or something i need these to work so i can pass inspection here in germany. go figure thanks Dan
Posted on: 2010/10/18 12:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Horn does not work at all
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
18771 Posts

Dan,

There is a horn relay... IIRC it is under the right side dash board hush panel.

Also check the horn buttons themselves. They are a piece of sprung metal plate (brass? copper?) that gets pressed much like one of those toy clicker things does. If they have lost their tension or the plastic button has lost its pin, the horn won't work.

Man... this is a bad day! I have all my documentation boxed up so we can move. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Posted on: 2010/10/18 12:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Horn does not work at all
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
24558 Posts

You can always run a secondary horn button/horn to get through inspection. beep beep
Posted on: 2010/10/18 12:39

Matatk Re: Horn does not work at all
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
17539 Posts

I think there are some slight differences between the 89 and 92 setup, but basically the same. I think you have an airbag? Or did that start in 93?

Regardless, first thing is the horns themselves are crap. They get full of water and rust shut so they won't work anymore. That's always the first place I would look. Disconnect one of the horns at the connector and use a DVOM or test light. Have another person press the horn button and see if you get power at the connection (not on the horn itself, obviously). If you have power there, the horns are the problem. If not, there is a horn relay - probably under the dash on the 92s...I don't recall the exact spot - possibly passenger side hush panel? If you press the horn button on the steering wheel you should be able to hear the relay click. At least I could on the 89 where the relay is behind the DIC. So the relay is the second place I'd look. The third/fourth problems would be the connection in the steering wheel or the wiring itself.

Good luck,

matthew
Posted on: 2010/10/18 13:09

bogus Re: Horn does not work at all
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
18771 Posts

the airbag started in 1990.
Posted on: 2010/10/18 14:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Horn does not work at all
The Stig Moderator
Reno
20844 Posts

The horn relay is under dash above the carpeted panel, you'll have to remove it.
There's 5 relays there, left to right, they are: fog lamp, dome lamp, fuel pump, horn, rear defog.

The horn relay socket & wires should look like this:

terminal
5 orange 1 orange
2 black 4 dr.greeen
First check 2 fuses, #11 labled "LCD" in the panel on the pass side of the dash. The other one is under the dash (pull the carpet panel) labeled "Theft"

Pull the relay, connect a test light or DVM to terminals 1 & 4, push the horn button, does it lite?
Yes- momentarily put a jumper on terminals 1 & 4, if the horns blow, replace the relay.

If the test lite doesn't lite in the first check, put the test lite on term 5 and to ground, if it lites, the problem is in the steering column connector/wiring or horn switches.

There's a bit more diagnosis but try this first.
Also make sure there's no corrosion at the horn connectors.
Posted on: 2010/10/18 19:22

fox_guy48 Re: Horn does not work at all
Guru
Katterbach Germany
78 Posts

hey guys thanks for all the help i had some time today and i tore it apart and i found the culprit it was a blown security fuse in the secondary fuse box it works fine now once again thanks Dan.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 12:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteGuruForum.com is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2012 CorvetteGuruForum.com

This site is available through the following URL redirects: C4Guru.com, CorvetteGuru.com, Corvette-Guru.com and CorvetteGuruForum.com. Email is sent from and received by CorvetteGuruForum.com ONLY!

CorvetteGuruForum.com is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at admin@corvetteguruforum.com.